Well, I finished just in time. Technically, I believe I finished less than 10 minutes before the Ravelympics were done. But here he is...Henry VIII! He is my entry into the toy event in Ravelry's knitting Olympics.
Henry was actually easier than I predicted. I think when I go back and test the pattern before I publish it, I'll be able to whip up a second version very quickly. In terms of historical accuracy I definitely exercised some artistic license....especially in the weight department. The real Henry VIII weighed well over 300 lbs.
But after all, this is ultimately an art project more than a history project. A lot of the choices I make while knitting the dolls are aesthetic ones, and I'm not sure many people want to have a doll who's grotesquely overweight and suffering from gout...but I could be wrong. And to answer Jon's question in regards to syphilis...it is in my favor that the regions affected are generally covered by clothing, and therefore not necessary to replicate in knit form. Also, it is not known for certain that Henry did suffer from syphilis. More recent theories suggest that the symptoms he suffered were more likely caused by advanced diabetes.
So now I'm off to finish Ann of Cleves, and to do some long overdue laundry.